Master Collection activity 1a: going on a journey
Pupils investigate the theme of journeys, past and present, inspired by two albums of Continental Journey Views compiled by Victorian traveller Thomas Man Bridge.
They think about what you need to pack, how you’re going to get there, famous tourist sites you might visit and the type of accommodation.
Children work independently or in teams to create a real, virtual or wall-based trunk or suitcase inspired by their research.
Increased knowledge and understanding of journeys, transport, travel and the Grand Tour.
KS1-4 Art (investigating art)
KS1-3 Geography (travelling across Europe, European destinations, glaciers, the Alps).
KS1-2 History (history of transport, travel, Victorians)
KS1-2 English (speaking and listening, discussing and debating art)
Ask pupils to write a list, and/or source images, of what they will need to take on a journey to Europe. They will be crossing the Channel and travelling for several weeks. Things they need to think about:
- Is it summer, winter or in between? What might the weather be like during the journey?
- What clothes to pack? Outerwear, underwear (how many pairs?), daywear, evening wear, night-time? Overcoats, wellies, umbrella? Sandals, flipflops, parasol?
- Will you be taking part in any sporting activities? (e.g. swimming, hill-walking, horse-riding, skiing)
- It’s a very special trip; what will you take to record what you see? (e.g. camera, mobile, sketchbook, notebook)
- Do you need any other equipment? (e.g. binoculars)
- What will you do about food and drink? What do you need to take? (e.g. water bottle, cutlery, picnic basket)
Children explore Learn with Objects Master 1: Thomas Man Bridge’s journeys, independently or as part of whole class learning and compare his journey with ones at other times in history or today. There is lots of excellent content for historic journeys across the whole Learn with Objects website.
Pupils create a real, virtual or wall-based travel trunk or suitcase inspired by their research.
Learn with Objects links
Use Learn with Objects Master Collection 1: Thomas Man Bridge’s journeys.
Also Maritime Folkestone 1 and 2; Seaside Holidays 15.