Master Collection activity 14: artist as illustrator
Children investigate the work of book illustrators, historically and today, starting with Thomas Stothard and including well known illustrators of children’s books today such as Quentin Blake.
They think about the question What makes a good book illustrator? Then share examples of some of their favourites and why they like them.
Finally, they create their own illustration for an existing children’s book, or one they have created.
Increased knowledge and understanding of the work of illustrators in the past and today.
That illustrators create art for books, magazines, comics and a host of paper and online publications.
KS1-2 Art (book illustration)
Look at Master Collection 14: the artist as illustrator. Investigate the initial sketches for book illustrations of Thomas Stothard for Pilgrims Progress and Tristram Shandy. Ask the children the following questions:
- Why has he chosen to illustrate these episodes from the books?
- What do you like about the illustrations?
- In what ways do they grab the readers attention?
- How has the illustrator brought to life the characters?
- Would they appeal to readers today? Why not?
- How are illustrations today different from these?
- What’s your favourite book illustration? Why?
- Do you know any famous children’s book illustrators today?
Set the children the challenge to research and find out about some well-known children’s book illustrators today such as Quentin Blake.
Ask them to think about the question
- What makes a good book illustrator?
The children then share examples of some of their favourites and why they like them (in a short visual presentation).
Pupils create their own illustration or illustrated book cover for a children’s book.
The illustration or book cover can be from a children's classic such as Alice in Wonderland, or from a favourite book. Alternatively, ask children to use their imaginations around one of the following:
- Fairy Tales
- Adventure Stories
Learn with Objects links
Learn with Objects Master 14: artist as illustrator