This is the Bouverie Shield, which was fixed above the entrance of Folkestone’s old Town Hall until it was demolished in 1858. The current town hall, which includes Folkestone Museum, was built on the same site.
William Bouverie, 2nd Viscount Folkestone, and his family were important in the development of the town. He was made 1st Earl of Radnor in 1765.
The shield is carved with the coats of arms of the Playdell and Bouverie families, with 28 ancestor families represented.